Freshly juiced organic cranberries have a ‘berry-like’ flavor

That’s my lack of words for it. I decided to use these organic fresh cranberries for juicing. If I had drying racks and other equipment, I’d dry them. I want to start drying large amounts of food and get in the habit of it. But I can’t do that now, so I juiced them.

I ate the leftovers of what I cooked last night. Hopefully, that’s not what made me sick. Then I juiced the cranberries. Jacob laid on my pile of clothes, watching me as I set up the juicer. I put the cranberries in and turned it on. I wasn’t even able to use the black thingy that you’re supposed to use to press down on the fruits and vegetables, because the berries just bounced around all over the place, so I had to just cover the top with my hand, while feeding more cranberries through a tiny hole between my finger and thumb. I got splattered cranberry all over my hand.

Finally they were done and I drank it. It wasn’t very much. I added my organic sugar and a little bit of water. Ideally, in principle, I’d rather not be adding sugar to things, but cranberries are just inedible – it’s something native people ate because they had to, because it was edible, because they had nothing else to eat. They probably did things to them to make them less unpalatable. I can handle them if they’re dried. These fresh ones are super strong though. Primitive people have to pick whatever foods are available at that season of the year, and if it doesn’t kill you, it’s edible.

The juice had a strange flavor which was different from and better than the cranberry juice at the store. I don’t have the words to describe it. It was truly something *different*. The only words I have for it are ‘berry-like.’ It was a berry-like flavor. I’ve picked wild black raspberries and mulberries, I’ve eaten those fake strawberries, whatever they’re called – mock strawberries – I’ve eaten MILLIONS of those (and some websites thought they were poisonous! but I eat them ALL THE TIME during the summer, and I’m chemical-sensitive, so if they were poisonous, I of all people would know!). Something in all those wild berries was in this cranberry juice, but gone from the juice at the store. I can’t describe it. It was a haunting, wonderful, subtle background flavor, although they probably weren’t as good as they were on the day they were picked.

There are ephemeral things that are destroyed as time passes. Freshly grown, organic, freshly picked plants have a smell. You pick a green bean off the plant and eat it right that moment, and it tastes completely different from any green beans in the grocery store. However, grocery store apples might have been sitting in warehouses for months and months as their vitamins decayed. Many grocery store foods sit around for a long time, and some of them are sprayed with various substances to keep them from spoiling, or to make them ripen exactly when we want them to ripen. I only eat grocery store food because I don’t have my own farm, can’t go to farmers’ markets as much as I want, don’t have a car to drive long distances to pick up food I want, and also, because I lost my jobs and don’t have the money to start ordering weird foods online like I was JUST ABOUT to do before I got sick from the pesticides sprayed at McD.

Several people I know have told me I should go back to McD. I really, really wish I could. I think that’s the reason why I couldn’t bear to talk to anyone from McD. I didn’t want them to make me want to come back. It breaks my heart to leave behind all those people I love. I haven’t forgotten them at all. However, part of me wants to try new jobs, even if it’s just a random job that’s equal to any other random job, like this dishwasher thing. It’s in a different location with different people. The particulars differ, the essence is basically the same.

Anyway, I got rid of the fresh cranberries, after having realized that I absolutely could not just eat them as is, even when I mixed them with my grassfed beef. I absolutely love eating dried cranberries, and I think that’s what’s necessary to make them edible.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: